The University Council advises the Rector's Board and supervises its management. Especially the following tasks are to be fulfilled by the University Council according to § 21 of the University & College Act of the Federal State of North Rhine-Westphalia:
- election of the members of the Rector's Board;
- approval of the development plan of the university and of the draft of the agreement on objectives;
- approval of the economic plan;
- statement on the account of the Rector's Board and on the evaluation report;
- statements in matters of research, art, teaching and studies which concern the entire university or central institutions or which are of fundamental importance;
- formal approval of the actions of the Rector's Board.